Defence Management and Leadership Recommended Reading
- Johnson, G., Scholes, K. and Whittington, R. (2008) Exploring corporate strategy. 8th edn. Harlow: Prentice Hall.
- Kane, T. and Lonsdale, D. (2012) Understanding contemporary strategy. London: Routledge.
- Chatterjee, S. et al. (2007) Asian management in transition. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Turnbull, J. and Collins, J.. (2008) Leadership learning: knowledge in action. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Mendenhall, M. et al. (2013) Global leadership: research practice and development. London: Routledge.
- Archer, D. and Cameron, A. (2009) Collaborative leadership. London: Routledge.
- Defence Leadership Centre (2004) Leadership in Defence. DLC
- Darby, R. and Williamson, C. (2013) 'Challenges to international human resource management: the management of employee risk in humanitarian aid and security sectors', International Journal of Human Resources Development and Management, 12(3), p.159
- Alexandrou, A. and Darby, R. (2006) 'Human resource management in the defence environment', in Cleary, L. and McConville, T. (eds.) Managing defence in a democracy. Routledge (Cass Military Studies).
- Darby, R. (2012) 'Cyber defence in focus: enemies near and far - or just behind the firewall: the case for knowledge management', Defence Studies, 12(4).
- Darby, R. (2014) Leadership development in the Asia Pacific region: building capacity in the Indonesian defence environment: a case study' Journal of management development, 34(5).
- Croissant, A., Keuhn, D., Lorenze, P. and Chambers, P. (2013) Democratization and civilian control in Asia. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Ferdinand, P. (2012) Governance in Pacific Asia. New York: Continuum.
- Hislop, D. (2009) Knowledge management in organizations: a critical introduction. Oxford: OUP
- DCDC Strategic Trends Programme https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/strategic-trends-programme
- Military doctrine on leadership from the three UK Armed Services
- Dunn, M. (2010) 'Guns or gantt charts?', in Brookes, S. and Grint, K. (eds.) Leadership challenge UK defence. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Eade, D. (1997) Capacity building: an approach to people-centre development. Oxfam publications. Available at: http://policy-practice.oxfam.org.uk/publications/capacity-building-an-approach-to-people-centred-development-122906
- Goffee, R. and Jones, G. (2006) 'The route to authentic leadership', Training Journal, Nov., pp.31.
- Grint, K. (ed.) (1997) Leadership: classical, contemporary and critical approaches. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- George, B., Sims, P., McLean, A. and Mayer, D. (2007) 'Discovering your authentic leadership', Harvard Business Review, pp.129-138.
- Northouse, P. (2004) Leadership: theory and practice. 3rd edn. Sage.
- Zandy, A. (2007) 'If you want to lead learn how to serve', Debt, Jul/Aug, pp. 24-25.
- Covey, S. (2006) The 8th habit: from effectiveness to greatness. London: Simon and Schuster.
- Washington, R., Sutton, C., Field, H. (2006) 'Individual differences in servant leadership: the roles of values and personality', Leadership and Organisational Development Journal, 27(8), pp. 700-716.
- Pearman, R. and Albritton, S. (1997) I'm not crazy I'm just not you: the real meaning of the sixteen personality types. Davies Black Publishing.
- English, G. (2006) 'Leveraging personalities for business advantage', Strategic HR Review, Jul/Aug, pp. 24-27.
- Dixon, S., Meyer, K. and Day, M. (2009) 'Stages in organizational transformation in transition economies: a dynamic capabilities approach', Journal of Management Studies, 47(3), pp. 416-436.