Human Resource Management and Change Management Reading List
- Torrington, D., Hall, L. and Taylor, S. (2008) Human resource management. 8th edn. Harlow: Prentice Hall.
- Alexandrou, A. and Darby, R. (2006) 'Human resource management in the defence environment', in Cleary, L.R. and McConville, T. (eds.) Managing defence in a democracy. Oxon: Routledge.
- Horwitz, F. and Budhwar, P.S. (2015) Handbook of human resource management. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Cameron, E. and Green, M. (2015) Making sense of change management: a complete guide to the tools and techniques of organizational change. 4th edn. London: Kogan Page.
- Balogun, J. and Hope, H.V. (2008) Exploring strategic change. 3rd edn. Harlow: Prentice Hall.
- Hayes, J. (2010) The theory and practice of change management. 3rd edn. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Mondy, R.W. (2010) Human resource management. Harlow: Pearson.
- Darby, R. (2014) 'Inter-agency working & co-operation: learning from collaboration in the humanitarian & security sector space', The Journal of Humanitarian Assistance, 30 Oct. Available at: https://sites.tufts.edu/jha/archives/2071
- Al-Haddad, S. and Kotnour, T. (2015) 'Integrating the organizational change literature: a model for successful change', Journal of Organizational Change Management, 28(2), pp. 234-262.
- Kotter, J.P. (2005) 'Why transformation efforts fail', Harvard Business Review, 73(2), pp.59-67
- Appelbaum, S.H., Habashy, S., Malo, J.L. and Shafiq H. (2012) 'Back to the future: revisiting Kotter's 1996 change model', Journal of Management Development, 31(8), pp.764-782.
- Kotter, J.P. (2012) 'Accelerate!', Harvard Business Review, 90(11), pp.44-58. Available at: https://hbr.org/2012/11/accelerate
- Samaratunga, R., Alam, Q. and Teicher, J. (2008) 'The New Public Management reforms in Asia: a comparison of South & Southeast Asian countries', International Review of Administrative Sciences, 74, pp. 21-46.
- Griffith-Cooper, B. and King, K. (2007) 'The partnership between project management and organizational change: integrating change management with change leadership', Performance Improvement, 46(1), pp. 14-20.
- Morgan, G. (1986) Images of Organization. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Van de Ven, A. and Sun, K. (2011) 'Breakdowns in implementing models of organizational change', Academy of Management Perspectives, 25(3), pp. 58-74.
- Goffin, K. & Mitchell, R. (2010) Innovation management: strategy and implementation using the pentathlon framework. 2nd edn. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Hughes, M. (2010) Managing change: a critical perspective. 2nd edn. London: Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
- Cheung-Judge, M-Y. and Holbeche, L. (2011) Organization development: a practitioner's guide for OD and HR. London: Kogan Page.
- Francis, H., Holbeche, L. and Reddington, M. (2012) People and organisational development: a new agenda for organisational effectiveness. London: Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
- Garrow, V. and Varney, S. (2011) Learning to swim, learning to fly? A career in organisational development. Brighton: Institute for Employment Studies. Available at: http://www.employment-studies.co.uk/system/files/resources/files/481.pdf
- Incomes Data Services. (2011) Organisational development. HR studies. London: IDS.
- Stewart, J. and Rogers, P. (2012) Developing people and organisations. London: Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
- Yeung, A., Warner, M. & Rowley, C. (2008) 'Growth and globalization: evolution of human resource management practices in Asia', Human Resource Management, 47(1), pp. 1-13.
- Neumeister, C. & Stoian, R. (2010) 'Human resources in emerging markets', Workspan, 53(4), pp. 22-26.
- CIPD (2010) Talent development in the BRIC countries. London: Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development. Available at: http://www.cipd.co.uk/hr-resources/research/talent-development-bric-countries.aspx
- Guest, D. (2011) 'Human resource management and performance: still searching for some answers', Human Resource Management Journal, 21(1), pp. 3-13.
- Alfes, K., Truss, C. and Gill, J. (2010) 'The HR manager as change agent: evidence from the public sector', Journal of Change Management, 10(1), pp. 109-127.
- Graetz, F. and Smith, A. (2010) 'Managing organizational change: a philosophies of change approach', Journal of Change Management, 10(2), pp. 135-154.
- Fernandez- Araoz, C., Groysberg, B. and Nohria, N. (2011) 'How to hang on to your high potentials', Harvard Business Review, 89(10), pp. 76,78-83. Available at: https://hbr.org/2011/10/how-to-hang-on-to-your-high-potentials
- Lawler, E.E. and Worley, C.G. (2011) 'Lawler and Worleys nine principles for sustainable talent management', Workspan, 54(11), pp. 18-22.
- Caplan, J. (2011) The value of talent: promoting talent management across the organization. London: Kogan Page.
- CIPD (Chartered Institute for Personnel and Development) provides information on managing change, organisational change, change strategies, communicating change and resistance to change. The resources includes factsheets, research reports and practical tools: http://www.cipd.co.uk/hr-topics/change-management.aspx
- Prosci is a change management consultancy. Alongside promoting their own methodology, their website provides tutorials, blog posts and other interesting discussions about aspects of managing change: http://www.change-management.com/tutorials.htm
Mindtools is an online training site which also includes extensive resources for managers. The page ‘Change management: making organization change happen effectively’ includes useful definitions and descriptions, as well as links to information about a wide range of change management methods: https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newPPM_87.htm
The Behavioural Insights team applies behavioural sciences to support the redesign of public services. The principles behind their approach to achieving change have widespread applicability. Their website provides a lot of useful information and this paper explains their approach in straight forward terms: http://www.behaviouralinsights.co.uk/publications/east-four-simple-ways-to-apply-behavioural-insights/
Higher and further education sector change – useful review of principles and models, would be relevant for other sectors: https://www.jisc.ac.uk/guides/change-management
UK Civil Service change – a guide on selecting and using People Impact Assessment tools for those leading and managing change as part of Civil Service Reform: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/leading-and-managing-change-people-impact-assessment