Library Office 1
+44 (0)1793 785561
Research Support Coordinator - Barrington Library
Accessibility Officer for Barrington Library
First Aider for Barrington Library
Awarded Best Campus Support Staff, CDS, 2012-2013 - Student Led Teaching Awards
Service on University and College committees
- Battlespace Technology Course Committee
- Defence Equipment Engineering (Land) Course Committee
- Expeditionary Warfare Systems Engineering and Technology Course Committee
- Guided Weapons Systems Course Committee
- Military Aerospace and Airworthiness Course Committee
- Military Electronic Systems Engineering Course Committee
- Vehicle and Weapon Engineering Programme(USA)Course Committee
- Weapon and Vehicle Systems Programme Course Committee
Member of the following professional bodies
- Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals
- Academic and Research Libraries Group
- Information Literacy Group
- Member of South West Engineering Librarians (SWELS)
- DARTS (Discover Academic Research, Training and Support)Secretary
- Research Support
- Information Literacy
Smith, M.J. (2018) Mapping the information needs of researchers and research students. Presented at: DARTS6 (Discover Academic Research Training and Support) Conference. Taunton, Devon. 24th May.
Smith, M.J., Knowles, R.K. and Goff, J.C. (2017) 'PG STEM support at Cranfield Defence and Security', USTLG Autumn 2017 – Understanding postgraduate STEM users. Available at: http://www.ustlg.org/?page_id=1158
Barefoot, A., Cooksley, H., Crossley, J., Heath, A., Sleat, A., Smith, M. and Stevens, C. (2017) 'Changes in the research support landscape over the last ten+ years: reflections on the DARTS conference series 2005–2018', SCONUL Focus, 69, pp. 74-77. Available at: https://www.sconul.ac.uk/sites/default/files/documents/SCONUL_Focus_69.pdf.
Smith, M.J. and Betts-Gray, M. (2016) Finding out what researchers “really, really want": the structured interview. Presented at: Measuring Value: The Impact of Information Literacy and its Evaluation Conference. Birmingham City University, May 4th. Available at: http://libguides.bcu.ac.uk/c.php?g=302953&p=2021573
Smith, M.J., Humphries, C. and Woodfield, H. (2011) Supporting our students Presented at: Cranfield University Academic Conference. Cranfield University, 14 July.
Smith, M.J. & Knowles, R.A. (2011) Reflections of embedding information literacy into a postgraduate multi-cultural institution. Presented at: LILAC 2011 Conference. London, United Kingdom. 19th April.
Smith, M.J. (2009) 'Singing in the rain – a first timer at Umbrella', Aerospace and Defence Librarians Group Newsletter, 21(1), pp. 18-21.